Ralph Waldo Emerson
Positive Inspirational Achievement Stories
Making the best of you
They say 'make the best of a bad situation.' But I believe the bad situation makes the best of you. Even the irritations of life can be useful. President Abraham Lincoln showed us how this is so.
One of his cabinet appointees, Edwin Stanton, frequently found flaws with the president and criticized him - sometimes in public. Lincoln seemed to show excessive patience with him. The president was asked why he kept such a man in a high level position.
Lincoln characteristically responded with a story. He told about a time he was visiting with an old farmer. He noticed a big horsefly biting the flank of the farmer's horse. Lincoln said he reached over to brush the fly away. As he did so, the farmer stopped him and cautioned, 'Don't do that, friend. That horsefly is the only thing keeping this old horse moving.'
Even life's many irritations and problems have their place. They may cause us to change directions. Or prod us to greater achievement. Or keep us moving along when it's easier to go nowhere.
Are you simply making the best of a bad situation, or will it make the best of you?
Written by Steve Goodier
Steve Goodier publishes This is Your Life Support System, a free e-newsletter sharing life, love and laughter.
For Steve's contact details please visit . . . Positive Inspirational Links >>>
- Here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well
- Reaching for Perfection
- Be a believer to be an achiever
- A field mouse or an osprey
- Thinking positively
- Are you a Joey Magpie
- What are your goals, dreams and visions?
- The Art of Achievement
- The boy with the low I.Q.
- Leaving your mark
- Making the best of you
- Planning brings your future into present
- The Oyster
- To Risk
- There's nothing you can't do
- 10 tips for creating a life and living your dream
- The Gift
- 11 ways to make this your best year yet
- The habits of going the extra mile
- How to identify your goals
- Goal setting rules
- Thou art an eagle
- After the applause, make time for words of praise!
- Acres of Diamonds