Positive Inspirational Stories
Positive Featured Inspirational Story - December 1 to December 31, 2010
You deserve an Academy Award!
When I was a young girl my father experienced some difficulties. His frustrations often turned to anger, and for one reason or another, his anger was often coupled with violent outbursts.
I was twelve and cleaning the house when my two-year-old half-brother insisted on playing a game called sitting on the vacuum cleaner. Rushing, I tried to get my chores done so I could go out with my friends. I became frustrated with his game, so I picked him off the cleaner and put him on the couch and told him to sit still until I was done. My step-mother was not impressed with my disciplining attempts and complained to my father. This was enough to set him off.
I defended myself the only way I knew how. When he was handed the leather strap I grabbed it and held on for dear life, only fuelling the flames of his anger. The fight ended and he won. I was thrown against the wall and lost consciousness. When I woke up I realised I was alone, so I made a dash for the door and ran for my life. As a result of the drama I experienced in my childhood my life became a journey to understand myself and peoples behaviour better. Why, why, why does this type of behaviour happen? I found my answers in forgiveness, love and understanding.
One night, while lying in bed contemplating life, love and the universe, I imagined life to be like a colossal Hollywood movie filled with adventure, drama, contrast, challenges, joy, journeys and variety. After all, a good movie has all these ingredients; drama, betrayal, sadness, love, mystery, intrigue and happy endings, that's what makes it such a good show. Without the drama, the happy ending would not feel as good.
I thought about everyone I had encountered on the stage of life. The ones I loved and the ones that had hurt me, and I remembered from a place of unconditional love, from source energy, that place we are all from, we are the same. Actors, playing our roles in the movie of life, and richer for the experiences.
I realised we are all an extension of source energy, or pure positive energy, and our natural state of being is one of love. With this truth in my heart, in my mind I visualised an Academy Awards ceremony for my life.
The nominees were everyone I had known. They received awards according to their performances. You see, the people who had convinced me the most they were not love, who had behaved in a way that did not look like love, received an academy award for their acting performances. Best supporting actor/actress in a drama series, and so on. But the prize of the night, the best actor award, went to Dad. He had really convinced me, in those times of violence, that he did not love me, I had swallowed it hook line and sinker. His performance had me believing his anger was who he really was, and I was not worthy of his, or anyone else's love. And in my search for spiritual knowledge and understanding I found that this was not the truth. That behaviour like that only occurs when we forget who we really are and disconnect from our source.
Life is like a magnificent acting job, and for his performance, Dad received the best actors Oscar. I thought of Dustin Hoffman in 'Rain Man'. He was not really a man with Autism, but he played his role so well, we all suspended our disbelief for the moments we were witnessing his performance. So convincing was he, the Academy gave him an Academy Award.
As a result my inner award ceremony, my relationship with my father healed, as did the relationships with the rest of the men in my life. I no longer felt I had to push away the people who loved me. I could accept their love and I could accept my own self-love. I became less defensive and more accepting of the behaviour of others, understanding that their behaviour has nothing to do with me. Their behaviour is all about their distorted perception of limitedness, lack, loss, and mistrust.
Angry or violent people had forgetting that we are adored by the universe, and life will bring us everything we want when we align with the knowing; we are all an extension of pure positive energy and life delivers our every dream when we remember who we are.
Next time someone try's to convince you they do not love you and you aren't worthy of love, or of getting what you want, tell them, 'You're doing such a good acting job trying to forget who you are; you deserve an Academy Award!'
Written by KAren Swain
KAren is based in Sydney Australia and is a teacher of Deliberate Creation as well as facilitating Inspirational Law of Attraction meetings called 'Reminders from Home'. To learn more about KAren - please visit her website at . . . KAren Swan >>>
- Inspirational Stories
- Finding a Forever Home
- Grandma's Thimble
- When you thought I wasn't looking
- Left Behind
- Enjoy your nectarine
- The Old Phone . . . How do you spell fix?
- You make a difference
- Lessons from Geese
- The Richest Man in the Valley
- The Making of a Memory
- Why The Elephants Dont Run
- The Sandpiper . . . to bring you joy
- They don't walk in your shoes . . . Click, Click, Click!
- The Happiest Day of My Life
- Courage - Despite the Odds
- You just never know
- Learning to Listen
- If it is meant to be, it will be
- The Learning Tree
- The Red Marbles
- The Weeds of Our Lives
- The Distinct Sound of Purring
- Flowers for the Teacher
- The Red Ribbon
- Santa's Love
- All The Good Things
- Yusuf - He's My Brother
- Extra Good Luck
- Hoo Hoo Fraks
- Stand tall like the Sunflower
- Unique Words of Forgiveness
- I Got Back On My Seat
- Brick Wall
- White Envelopes
- Love and Music in Their Hearts
- Birthday Cards with Secret Codes
- Gift Exchange - lessons about life!
- When the message light doesn't blink
- Tenant Farmers
- I know you by heart
- In Clay Vessels
- Letting Go
- When the nest emptied
- When the birdies came
- Broken Eggs and Shattered Glass
- After the applause, make time for words of praise!
- Are you a bucker filler or a dipper
- Choosing Confidence
- The Stone Soup Story
- A Mother's Job
- Hugging Life
- The Perfect Partnership
- Acknowledging a Special Treat
- A Different Perspective
- Life is meant to be lived
- Treasured Traditions
- Rules for a better way to live
- I Just Get Started
- Memories sustain us on Father's Day
- Creating Opportunity
- Forgiving without condoning or forgetting
- Nothing is long or short, hot or cold, good or bad!
- The Power of Discipline
- Sentry of the Homestead
- You deserve an Academy Award!
- All in the Family
- What is your Passion?
- We danced through life
- A choice to make
- Five ingredients of personal growth
- Acres of Diamonds
- If you look like a duck . . .
- The Secret of Happiness
- Harvesting Love
- It's music to your ears
- A Special Brand of Luck
- They are just empty cars
- Thou Art An Eagle
- Encouragement Works
- When you're in the cement mixer
- Plant Annually
- Life and Its Legs
- No Barriers in Life
- Getting Started
- Good Leaders are Good Followers
- How much do you want it to be
- How to improve your vision
- What forgiveness will buy
- Why let that hold you back
- Letting the yeast work its magic
- 9 things that make good employees quit
- The Beginning of Positive Thinking
- Giving Back
- May you be known by your love
- Expand your vision of possibilities
- We are meant for the skies
- Mr Belser died last night
- Are you dead on the job
- What makes us happy
- Motivating Others
- The clock is running so make the most of today
- Calming the muddy waters
- Keeping New Year's Resolutions - the secret additive
- You are unique
- Web of Love
- Is happiness around the corner
- Seeing Life Through New Eyes
- An enriching action
- The Road to Significance and Success
- The real purpose of your life
- With leadership its the little things that matter
- The Obstacle in our Path
- Good deeds no matter how small can change the world for someone
- Accepting responsibility has its rewards
- An Inspiring Thanksgiving
- The Ever-Flowing Spiral of Love
- Clementine - My Very First Dog
- The Little Nail
- His Greatest Treasure
- Their love comes with no strings and has no boundaries
- Three Simple Words that Change Everything
- Thank You
- Moral Courage - The Engine of Integrity
- The Person in a Different Skin
- Believe In Your Ideas
- I'll Never Complain Again
- You Are Wonderful!
- The Value of Knowledge
- Living In Gratitude
- No Regrets
- The words we love to hear
- On this Day