Positive Inspirational Stories
March and April 2022 - Featured Inspiration
The words we love to hear
It had been a very busy day with a number of client meetings, so when I parked my car in the city some distance from my last appointment, I was hoping that it would be a quick one so that I could then beat the afternoon city rush hour.
I had a very important family document that needed to be signed by a large government department and as I stepped out of the lift on the third floor, it was a relief to find that there were only two people ahead of me in what I had anticipated would be a long queue. This was my second visit to the department having collected a detailed set of guidelines for preparing the document which I had followed very carefully and double checked the final document, so I was expecting that it would be a simple and quick process.
Within a few minutes I was at the service counter and spent the next five minutes in discussion with the customer service attendant as he outlined why he considered that my documentation could not be signed and finalised. To say the least I was very annoyed with his overly rigorous interpretation of what needed to be done, so I asked him if there was any way he could help me to have the paperwork signed on the spot and avoid a further delay. His answer was not what I wanted to hear and he then handed me some additional forms and told me that I would need to take these away and complete them before they could finalise the documentation.
Frustrated by what I considered to be such a negative and ‘by the book approach’ from the customer service attendant, I asked to speak to the department supervisor in the hope that I could resolve what I believed to be some very minor issues.
After a short wait the department supervisor came to the counter to speak to me and started his conversation with me by asking how he could help me. Upon hearing my explanation, he responded quickly by saying the words we always like to hear when we are hopeful that something can be resolved in our favour . . . 'if we can do this now, I can organise to have the paperwork signed immediately and you can be on your way'.
Within ten minutes the documentation was finalised and had been signed, so with a sense of relief and a big smile on my face, I was on my way.
As I got into the lift a member of staff joined me and greeted me with . . . 'Good afternoon, I can see that you are another one of our happy customers'. Initially, I was a little taken back by her comments and then responded that I was, adding that the department supervisor I had dealt with had been very helpful and quick to action and resolve the signing of an important document.
She went on to say that the department supervisor I had dealt with was always very helpful with all their customers and was also a great boss to work for and with. What an absolute pleasure it was to hear her comments and as we both stepped out of the lift, she smiled and wished me all the very best.
At that very moment I was reminded of a quote by W. Clement Stone . . . ‘There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative.’
So, I was indeed very fortunate that the department supervisor had an attitude that made a difference and had been so helpful, equally it was great to be on my way so I could beat the afternoon city rush hour.
Written by Keith Ready
Inspired by a department supervisor who genuinely wanted to help all his customers.
You can learn more about Keith Ready at . . . About Keith Ready >>>
- Inspirational Stories
- Finding a Forever Home
- Grandma's Thimble
- When you thought I wasn't looking
- Left Behind
- Enjoy your nectarine
- The Old Phone . . . How do you spell fix?
- You make a difference
- Lessons from Geese
- The Richest Man in the Valley
- The Making of a Memory
- Why The Elephants Dont Run
- The Sandpiper . . . to bring you joy
- They don't walk in your shoes . . . Click, Click, Click!
- The Happiest Day of My Life
- Courage - Despite the Odds
- You just never know
- Learning to Listen
- If it is meant to be, it will be
- The Learning Tree
- The Red Marbles
- The Weeds of Our Lives
- The Distinct Sound of Purring
- Flowers for the Teacher
- The Red Ribbon
- Santa's Love
- All The Good Things
- Yusuf - He's My Brother
- Extra Good Luck
- Hoo Hoo Fraks
- Stand tall like the Sunflower
- Unique Words of Forgiveness
- I Got Back On My Seat
- Brick Wall
- White Envelopes
- Love and Music in Their Hearts
- Birthday Cards with Secret Codes
- Gift Exchange - lessons about life!
- When the message light doesn't blink
- Tenant Farmers
- I know you by heart
- In Clay Vessels
- Letting Go
- When the nest emptied
- When the birdies came
- Broken Eggs and Shattered Glass
- After the applause, make time for words of praise!
- Are you a bucker filler or a dipper
- Choosing Confidence
- The Stone Soup Story
- A Mother's Job
- Hugging Life
- The Perfect Partnership
- Acknowledging a Special Treat
- A Different Perspective
- Life is meant to be lived
- Treasured Traditions
- Rules for a better way to live
- I Just Get Started
- Memories sustain us on Father's Day
- Creating Opportunity
- Forgiving without condoning or forgetting
- Nothing is long or short, hot or cold, good or bad!
- The Power of Discipline
- Sentry of the Homestead
- You deserve an Academy Award!
- All in the Family
- What is your Passion?
- We danced through life
- A choice to make
- Five ingredients of personal growth
- Acres of Diamonds
- If you look like a duck . . .
- The Secret of Happiness
- Harvesting Love
- It's music to your ears
- A Special Brand of Luck
- They are just empty cars
- Thou Art An Eagle
- Encouragement Works
- When you're in the cement mixer
- Plant Annually
- Life and Its Legs
- No Barriers in Life
- Getting Started
- Good Leaders are Good Followers
- How much do you want it to be
- How to improve your vision
- What forgiveness will buy
- Why let that hold you back
- Letting the yeast work its magic
- 9 things that make good employees quit
- The Beginning of Positive Thinking
- Giving Back
- May you be known by your love
- Expand your vision of possibilities
- We are meant for the skies
- Mr Belser died last night
- Are you dead on the job
- What makes us happy
- Motivating Others
- The clock is running so make the most of today
- Calming the muddy waters
- Keeping New Year's Resolutions - the secret additive
- You are unique
- Web of Love
- Is happiness around the corner
- Seeing Life Through New Eyes
- An enriching action
- The Road to Significance and Success
- The real purpose of your life
- With leadership its the little things that matter
- The Obstacle in our Path
- Good deeds no matter how small can change the world for someone
- Accepting responsibility has its rewards
- An Inspiring Thanksgiving
- The Ever-Flowing Spiral of Love
- Clementine - My Very First Dog
- The Little Nail
- His Greatest Treasure
- Their love comes with no strings and has no boundaries
- Three Simple Words that Change Everything
- Thank You
- Moral Courage - The Engine of Integrity
- The Person in a Different Skin
- Believe In Your Ideas
- I'll Never Complain Again
- You Are Wonderful!
- The Value of Knowledge
- Living In Gratitude
- No Regrets
- The words we love to hear
- On this Day